Mandriva the Perfect Desktop (2008.1)

n0mad's picture

Well after getting WoP to work with 1 Linux Distro but then ET:QW won’t work with the same 1 and visa versa – Can’t live without WoP.
I have been spending the last 3 weeks installing Ubuntu,Mandriva and Mepis and came to conclusion they are suck. Nar just kidding…..
For NON Gaming they all work well but until now I thought I would never reach the Perfect Desktop UNTIL NOW.

As I really enjoyed Mandriva 2008 especially the out of the box Compiz 3D effects I thought 1 more try since Mandriva 2008.1 has just been released.

First off you download the ISO burn to CD run the CD Live and Prest0 Narvana
Click the install and within 10 minutes you have it installed.

WoP works no Problems
ET:QW works but found sound delay due to ALSA sound card set as default (Just change to OSS, simple as adding this command +seta s_driver “oss” )

Mandriva 2008.1 Review
http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/mandriva-2008-1-spring-e...

Best place to Start, Links and Instructions for the complete setup
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-mandriva-one-2008-spring-g...

Well I could go on but YOU MUST TRY THIS, even if you don’t install and just try the Live CD I think this Distro will change how ya think about Linux and Hey I’ts FREE…..

n0mad
Narvana on Narvana Dektop……….

Comments

ltmon's picture

Sound card delay

I had that problem on my old laptop: anything that used SDL (simple direct layer) sound via ALSA or something like that had a stuttering delay. It was really annoying! The card was an integrated Realtek something-or-other, and I never fixed it properly other than using OSS instead (OSS was the only option for W:ET).

Problem with OSS is that it will block all your other sounds (i.e. instant messages, incoming emails etc.).

Current laptop works without a problem though.

n0mad's picture

n0 blocking

Mandriva has great sound card control with Pulse Sound and as far as I can see no pr0blems….

Have you tried Mandriva 2008.1 yet ltmon ?

n0mad

ltmon's picture

Ahhh

I think Ubuntu now has pulse audio installed and running by default, which gets around the OSS limitations.

I haven’t tried it yet myself, but I should throw it in a Virtual Machine to see what they’ve done with it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Project issue numbers (ex. [#12345]) turn into links automatically.
  • You can use Textile markup to format text.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Insert Flickr images: [flickr-photo:id=230452326,size=s] or [flickr-photoset:id=72157594262419167,size=m].
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • You may use [view:name=display=args] tags to display views.
  • Avast! This website be taken over by pirates on September 19th. Yarr!

More information about formatting options

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a Norwegian and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.